Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Across the Vast Echo Comes A Voice

     I stumbled across a memory this evening as I walked past Kezar Staduim to the booming voice of some gentleman excitedly announcing SOMETHING. The echo and dulling from the walls made it difficult to hear outside. With the tone of his voice and the appearance of the building, a sense of connection came over me and reminded me of my six months in the true, rural south town of Munford, Tennessee. It was a town of a little over two thousand people, and there wasn't a lot to do since Memphis was an hour away. When I started "dating" my cute next door neighbor, she asked me to accompany her (and her brother and parents) to the talent show on Friday. I agreed, as the smile of a woman can sway most things in a man's... Heart.



     We arrived at the building, only for me to find it was a church. A Christian function that screamed some part 'hoe down' and some part innocence. I was not looking forward to the events of the evening, but her hand squeezing mine in excitement gave me pause, as I had sprayed Right-Guard directly in my crotch - I needed a payoff for the burning hunk of honkey love that taught me a valuable lesson on the proper placement of alcoholic substances. As we sidled up to the door, the man at the ticket counter handed us each a raffle ticket as we paid the nominal three dollar fee for "some good ol' fashioned entertainment"! Then, the memory that jogged this all free would arrive. "Bombastic Buford" (I'm not certain hat was his name... But I'm not certain it wasn't either) would come on stage with a mixture of Baptist Preacher meets 'The Micromachine Man' (about five of you reading this understood the reference) and take control of the situation. This was one of the first ties I noticed the power of charisma. Whether it was a fifteen year old boy with a cracking voice singing Patsy Cline or the girl who could touch her tongue to her nose (that happened, but I don't think they understood why men uncomfortably nervous), he would bellow forth and assure you that this was a ride you needed to take. Also, hallelujahs. 

     At the end of the night, I felt thoroughly entertained but not sure why (like reality shows always do) - entertained by the MC more so than any act. It was just clean wholesome fun. I went a few more weeks with "Right Guard" Rita until we decided we needed time to find ourselves. 😀 Also, figured she would be a cold fish. Fourteen is too early not sow ones wild oats. I may never have gotten to her, but those moments with her obviously still resonate within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment