Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Animal Within....

      The age old debate that divides a nation rages on! Democrats and Republicans? No. Red Sox or Yankees? Nah. Edward or Jacob? Who even cares?? No, the true debate will always be Cat People and Dog People. There are definite people who can straddle the line, but even then generally prefer one pet over the other. (Don't even get me started on big dogs versus small dogs). As a lifelong cat person, I have always appreciated the personality quirks that many people vilify cats for. As I have become a dog owner over the past few years, I have come to appreciate them more, but I am definitely still a fan of cats.
      People speak about cats being evil, aloof animals that ignore their owner and everything to do with them. A wonton destruction machine in four legged form. The truth is, my cars have always enjoyed my company for a bit, and then LET ME BE. I don't want my pet to become a codependent chore that leaves me begging for some time alone. Cats are playful, curious, able to express their wants and ready to share a life with you. There is nothing "evil" or "aloof" about wanting some alone time. Human couples do it, why can't your pet?
      Dogs, on the other hand, are portrayed as "man's best friend". From "Lassie" to "Old Yeller" to "K9 Cop", we are exposed to the myth of a dog as a life partner. In my reality, dogs are sneaky, needy animals that must be taught to respect their owners and not constantly demand their attention. Dogs will nip at a person seeking their owners attention, and that is no "best friend of mine". However, once a dog realizes an alpha and understands there are rules, they can be playful, appropriately loving and quite charmingly goofy in their own right. I love the dog I have helped raise, and I enjoy our interactions as they happen. There is no need for a continuous realm of touching to have a solid bond with her.
       That said, many people love dogs because they ARE a constant source of attention in an existential world where any love is better than none at all. Yes, dogs can protect where cats do not, and they can be great companions as a part of a family when they are a part (not priority).
      The joys of pets in both camps are powerful and impassioned about their four legged friends. While everyone deserves to enjoy their animals any way they wish, so many people have lost all ability robe considerate of others when doing so. If only people would show discipline to avoid impacting others negatively, it would be a better place for us all!














No comments:

Post a Comment