Sunday, March 22, 2015

Is Dying Real Enough For You?

     For the many out there who are unaware, Pedro Aguayo Ramirez passed from this mortal coil on Saturday night. Not ringing any bells? For many, it will not - even though he was remarkably famous in his home country of Mexico. He was a Lucha Libre star in the AAA promotion, who broke into the sport at 15 and has spent the last 20 years living up to his legandary father's legacy of entertaining the fans of Lucha. I don't claim to be a fan, or to know a lot of his work - most of what I have seen is from AAA events on Youtube - many of which were in Spanish and I never knkew what the storyline wa. Still, I enjoyed watching him work and tell the story in the ring. I say this to say I'm not a mark, my sorrow is not at the loss of a great ring veteran. I am sorry that a 35 year old man died doing something that I have seen wrestler's do thousands of times in my life and the horror of the other stars who shared the ring with him. Also, that he died doing a SPORT he loved while pious people look down there nose at on a daily basis. Godspeed, and thank you.

     On the idea of "sport", in a world where Gymnasts and Ice Skaters do "routines" in the Olympics as "sport", how is it wrestler's who put their lives and health on the line each night perfoming amazing moves and telling a 20 minute story (routine), how can you consider it any less than sport? Two individuals creating a "dance" of story and action that leads to the delight of millions..... is it the predetermined outcome? Boxing, anyone? No, I feel a lot of the disrespect that taints wrestling comes from it's Carnie beginnings, the southern taste of it in the 80's  - but the phrases and mythical characters still cast a large shadow on popular culture. The Rock says, I AM the tooth fairy! I am, and always will be, a proud wrestling fan.
     Additionally, as I watched the video of this match, the age old "you never know how long you have" popped into my head. As cliche as this statement has become to those who tend to share bubble gum psychology, in this case it is a haunting reminder of truth. As I mentioned earlier, the move that caused this is a staple of modern wrestling - it was either a botched Hurracanrana or a low dropkick and being bounced towards the ring rope. If you have ever watched a single Lucha or cruiserweight match, you have seent these moves tons of times. In this one case, with one bad moment, it cost a man his life. Consider things you do on a weekly basis that pas by ith no more than a whisper in our daily lives. At work. Behind the wheel of a car.In the home. No matter the amount of care, the outcome of this match was probably unavoidable. Just think about the things that bother you and consider if they are enough to waste hours or days of your life stressing. I am sure Pedro had no reason to believe 35 would be his swan song. Don't leave you life in regret.
     Lastly, it's time to truly consider what wrestler's put themselves through for our entertainment. These are stars that deserve the adulation we pile on sports starts that are much less endangered or deserving. From the Wrestler's point of view, what is with the drastic change in the sport over the years? I loved my ECW, I love Ring of Honor, I enjoy Lucha - but as I was listening to a podcast with none other than old time 'rasslin "enhancement talent" George South, he made a comment about how few injured necks were being done in the 80's; and the proliferation of injuries to major joints and body parts in the modern sport. I am certain everyone involved is aware of the risks, but is there no middle ground? Does every match need to put the entertainer on the edge of extinction? I don't pretend to know the answers, but when a veteran speaks I think it makes sense for us all to sit up and take notice. A legacy of broken bodies is not one that any of us "smart marks" want to have in the future.









No comments:

Post a Comment