Monday, March 2, 2015

That Which Does Not Kill.....

       Today, I was given many reminders about how much we all tend to defend the things that matter to us and not allow them to be associated with what we deem "lesser" things - even when the parrallel is striking. It is well known that our emotions can tinge our perceptions, but it is still startling how much many of us are willing to sacrifice a logical parrallel for the sake of holding our ideal "above" things we don't particularly care for.
       The sad part goes back to a continual theme for me - that which can build can also destroy. These lines between two points could be used as a way to change our perceptions and gain a greater appreciation for the  "offending" ideal, but so often it is the trap door that we use to make the concept seem illegitimate. As a species, we have a disposition to create so many negative opinions about so many topics - but why? TO be like family and friends? Ego? An acceptance of our community standards with no thought of our own? Dismissing things out of hand is easy enough to do, but it plays a large part in why we are all so limited in our perceptions and stages of "becoming". I have learned in my time to choose another way - there are only a handful of things that I refuse to take any part in (outside of clearly dangerous ones) based on an opinion. Even my own opinion. Things I would never have imagined as a young man that I would take part in. I have learned to cook. I have learned to drink. I know how to do hair. I have danced! (Albeit not much. Try things; always be cognizant of your limitations. Blind confidence is a disaster looking for a place to happen.) I watch BBC shows (a definite coming of....... age?) If it does not hurt or offend, I do not see the reason to disavow myself of it. If for no other reason, the experience gives me another set of skills, ideas or moments I can reflect on, share or even fall in love with doing. I like to cook (For that special someone). I like doing hair. MOre importantly, I like trying to be the example to get others to open their minds and taste as many of the worlds pleasures (in action) as possible. One never knows what gifts the unknown holds for us....     

No comments:

Post a Comment