Saturday, August 22, 2015

So Let It Be Written.....

     Today I have been thinking a great deal about motivation and a sense of self worth. General logic holds that those who do not continuously drive forward in pursuit of life's goals are lazy, lacking in the burning desire to succeed. Many hang their crowns upon the spoils of success, always regaling others with the perils they were forced to overcome, the long hours of sacrifice the forged them into time tested juggernauts. It is an all to common theme amongst conversations (some part truth, some part fairy tale) that leaves many of us gawking in admiration at the accomplishments that we can universally admire. However, where do we draw the line? What is the differentiation between healthy obsession and maniacal psychosis? When does hard work become "workaholic"?
      When dealing with motivation (or 'drive', as oft alluded to), the idea is that we have a great purpose that allows us to overcome any obstacle, at any cost, to achieve the final objective. People, circumstance, knowledge (and even health) will not stand in the way to our path toward 'this great thing'. In my humble opinion, this already sets a bad tone to the action - it is not enough just to do this thing, it must become a life purpose that be sated in order to feel worthwhile. It is no longer enough to do for the sake of doing. As human beings, we are not stationary creations..... Should our desires be? We all change daily, what happens when we reach the goal and no longer desire the outcome?
     Additionally, the line of thought that those that are not driven at all costs are 'lazy'. Certainly, there are people who inhabit this planet that are inherently unmotivated, but that is not the complete solution. Does their lack of motivation come from not wanting to leave the television? That's lazy. Just as many people lack motivation due to their built in insecurities. It's not that they don't want to achieve, they have a stumbling block in their heart and minds that cause them to falter and submit. That is not laziness, it is our humanity handicapping us. I am one of these people. I want to write a book..... I have had this dream for decades. I have the desire. I have the skill. Yet, whenever I think about sitting down to write, a gentle coaxing tells me, "What do I have to say of interest?" Other feelings of inadequacy join in and soon I find myself in 'paralysis by analysis' - insecurity given in a logical format that takes the momentum of creativity I need. Am I lazy? Flawed? Broken? All of the above?
      

No comments:

Post a Comment