Sunday, October 4, 2015

Loving in the Real World

Come with me on this quest
Take my arm and let us begin.
You are the companion that
I have waited a lifetime to find,
The calling  and the commitment
That I have tried too many times.
I speak to you with fairy tales,
But let's root our expectations
In the realities of what is to come.
There will be times when I falter,
And disappointment and hurt
Will be your shrouded comrades.
Even with you to return to,
I will darken the door
Some days with a dark demeanor.
With giving my greatest effort,
I will act in a way that leaves you
Uncomfortable or without content.
I will not always remember
To use my best manners or
Tell you often enough how 
Much your presences so needed,
Due to no ill attitude from me.
There will be times when I am tired
Or anxious
Or sad,
Just as I will ask things of you
Even when you aren't prepared
To meet my needs or desire.
The reality is that coupling 
Is a time test of endurance: 
Existing well beyond the
Initial euphoria of love anew.
Be prepared for all the things
We will be asked to overcome
Before you respond to my offer
To spend the rest of my life.
If you are willing to be party
What I can promise you
Without any doubt or hesitation
Is that none will love you
More than I am capable of
And no one will try harder
To make life as wonderful to you
As you are to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment