Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Road (No Longer) Behind

       After a year off, the road once again calls. In my chosen line of work, there's a great opportunity to make fast money as a traveling consultant. As a married man, it will be difficult to leave my honey and my home for (potentially) a months time; but it is a circumstance of a short term loss for a long time gain. Life offers us all situations like this in our daily lives.
      My desire was to get a job here in "The City", settle in for some 9 to 5 and live life with my wife. Things changed. My job list ME, I decided to become a (statistic) 40 year old student and take the time to dedicate myself to being a full time student and part time earner. With the support of my incredible wife; I had the faith to move forward with this plan. Yet there is still a need for some income from me over the course of a year. I thought long and hard about the advantages of a 20 hour a week job paying minimum wage for the year - or go on the road and make the same amount in a month. It seems like an easy answer, but sleeping alone, being in different time zones trying to communicate and living out of a suitcase are hard conditions to get accustomed to when you have a wonderful life with a leading lady. I was willing to do the year to have the glory of waking to her face each day and be at home. However, the road called and allowed me a way to easily see my son and friends; so I chose the road for the chance to have time with the boy and 11 months of studies. 

     Rarely does life provide us a cut and dried answer to any meaningful decision; and we can choose to embrace that fact.  Pizza or burgers? Date A or Date B? Chocolate or peanut butter? (I bet Reese's cups were created to avoid said dilemma!) To stay or to to go? Hell, even the idea to accept life's rhythm or continue searching for greater truths is a choice without a clear cut winner. My philosophy is to follow my heart, my instincts, wherever they take me. Some people plan and eliminate as much chance as they can from the equation. Others still just choose to fly by the seat of their pants.  My decisions will be a part of my history; but the time to choose is always in the now. For us, now is all there ever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment