Monday, October 27, 2014

It Ain't Easy, Being Green....

     After such a heavy blog as the one I spent all weekend crafting; I feel a lighter one is in order. That said, the big news of the day is: I got a bike!! No tassles or banana seats (but I do have a panda bear with blinky lights on my handlebars. State regulation?). I am not going "green" as much as looking for an enjoyable way to move about the City (with bike lanes aplenty) while also getting off my fat tush to burn some of the limitless energy I consume through sodas and steaks. What's old is new again.....

     I've always enjoyed biking. In my hometown, there was a lot less traffic than here in San Francisco, and biking was a relatively safe and easy endeavor. A good way to get around; a great way to look good (especially in spandex!); a phenominal way to enjoy the outdoors while being able to accomplish movement toward a destination. I've missed it for too long, and at 40 I have finally returned back to that glorious time (minus the spandex) of exploration and (some) good health. I will never be "bike guy" - spandexed gladiator with shining helmet and special "bike only" shoes - sucking down a green smoothie while cutting off cars in traffic - but I do hope to regain my proficiency as an amatuer cyclist. I'd like to regain my wind and (some) of my sleeker torso to please my lady (and my pants waist). Biking in the city will prove an exciting challenge (to my mortality?), but one well worth the reward!

     The wife also obtained a bike of her own; so we have each other to motivate us when we are having a tiresome day. Not everyone is like this; but I am one of these people that needs a "workout buddy", it is so easy to just come home and change into sweat pants and get lured in by the "Scrubs" marathon on channel 732. It's nice to have someone I rely on - and from whom I am relied upon - to accomplish the goal of good health/ stress release/ bringing sexy back. Someone who will cll me and say, "I know you're tired, but let's go for just an hour or so." It's harder to say no to a compadre than it is to the television's gentle allure. The wife feels she also is in need of some better habits; so we have set aside time and goals for the year to really motivate us toward not letting this fall into the land of "new year's resolutions" - the place where good ideas (and habits) go to die under the weight of great expectations. (Pun intended). This is going to be great for us; another fantastic hobby we can share and grow in.... and from.

     I am excited for my coming bicycling adventures. Despite the traffic, there aren't many better places to have a bike than here - with the bike lanes and pedestrain powered cross walks. I'm happy to have my hobby back; riding a bike is working out (physical) that rewards my add (psychological) and allows me time and space to think (mental). Just have to remember to avoid bumpy roads. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment