Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hey Now, Hey Now -The Boy is Back!

[p     Well, not yet! However, the ticket has been purchased and my son will be returning to San Francisco for the first time in two years! I'm so excited to have him coming back out here to see all the great things that "the City" provides - things people in Virginia just never get an opportunity to experience. The Humphreys Clan rides again!

     So, he will be coming out (with my mother) by plane for Christmas week! So much has changed - he has a new "momma"; he an Grandma are going to bake cookies; he will be staying in our house instead of a hotel; he's communicating so much better, and I think he will have a much wider range of interaction with everything going on around him. Sure, it's enough to be able to share the holidays with him; but it would be so much cooler to send him home with the memories of this time in his life. I really think the stimulation and interaction will do well for him. It will definitely be great to have my whole family in one place for a period of time. Who knows what mischeif can be had?

      With mischeif comes Mother. I know the wife is worried - last time my mother was out here; she was a bit embarrasing. I have spoken to her and done all I can to forego any further issues resonating from two years ago. The plus side is that Mom and my wifey got along swimmingly when we went out to visit in Virginia. Hoping for lots of "cumbaya" moments; as being trapped in the middle of that dynamic is SUPER no bueno. Having another dog to entertain her should help..... and she is staying in the house with us all as well. Apparently, her not having to drive here will also be quite a benefit. (It's amazing the things we learn about our parents as we age) I want this to go down as one of those epic moments for all of us - a holiday we reminisce about for years to come.

     More immediately, however, we have the wife's birthday coming up; and then my sis flies into town for Thanksgiving! This is going to be a year of many family members; and I am as excited as I have ever been in my life for the November/ December money/ emotion/ food/ gift crunch! IT's amazing what it can do to choose family that is beneficial, loving, entertaining and enduring. For so many years, my "birth" family coming over for Christmas was a nuisance - I spent many Christmas/ Thanksgiving hours outside playing basketball to avoid the incessant, vapid questions that come with visiting once a year. How old are you? What grade are you in? What do you do for fun? Were you a good boy this year? (I'm 15. Not a boy!) How's your mom? Ever seen a grown man naked? (Ok, I don't own the last one - Thanks Airplane!)

     This is the life I heard about on TV and movies and books for so many years. I still have my moments and my disease process - but at long last the "high point" of my life isn't just existing. I don't have to fight through another day hoping there is a positive on the horizon. I have things going on - my life is a major state of flux - like everybody. At long last I can smile at the good things while everything else works itself out. I can finally stand and give thanks without thinking about it well in advance. I am finally able to be alive and appreciate life; because I finally have things in it that are special to me as I am to them. Greatest blessing I could receive...

No comments:

Post a Comment