Monday, November 24, 2014

The Daily Dark Side

Yesterday's prompt was "Alone Time"

Another day of the unflinching
Ineptitude of my colleagues;
One more two and a half hour
Road rage filled commute home;
Enduring additional insult
From those lacking manners
Or a clue;
At these times I find myself
Fantasizing about another option.
I dream of light gray sands
Speckled with shells and life,
The deep blue sea foaming at my feet.
I imagine the life I could have had
If only I had eschewed the rat race
And scurried instead to
A remote island that has nothing,
Nothing more than i need to live –
At the very least, a place to go
Where I can finally be alone.

Today's prompt was "I'll Be _"

I'll Be Enduring

The phone screen lit
With the name of her other
The clock displayed 5:32 pm
"It's not like him to call,"
She thought to herself, quizically.

Intrigued, she raised the handset
"Hello, Darling," she began.
"I.... love.... you, my one."
His voice resonated wiith stress,
And she felt concern as 
She folded the clothes.
"Are you okay?"
"I'm sorry," he said,
"I'll be waiting."
"Honey, what?" She replied..
No response was to come.

She heard a distant wail  in the phone
As her worry grew
"Honey? Talk to me!"
Over and over with desperation.
All at once, the sirens screamed
And voices created a din of 
Horrible silence and uncertainty.
"Hello?" She calledout,
"Someone speak to me!"

Seconds passed into minutes
And the clothes were no longer
Meaningful
Mind racing with possibilities
Scanning potential futures
Remembering moments past

The phone started to rumble.
"Hello? Is someone there?!"
"Hello, Ma'am." 
It was a voice she had never heard
And her arms suddenly felt wooden.
"My name," the voice continued,
"Is Officer Rogers."
Officer?

Her chest sank, pushing the waters
From her heart toward her eyes.
"The phone says you are 
This gentleman's wife?"
 "Yes," she said hastily,
"Is everything okay??"
"I'm sorry to tell you, but
Something has happened."

Then she realized.
It was then she knew.
A final "I love you"
Came in his fading moments.
As her insides came undone
Her lips whispered,
"I love you."
One last time....

No comments:

Post a Comment