Monday, November 24, 2014

I'm No John Deacon!

     Tonight, to end the weekend long celebration of my wife's ##th birthday, I took her to see Queen's 1981 concert from Montreal in the local theater. The concept of the evening was pretty cool - it is one of those events that gets broadcast on different screens nationwide as a shared event; and I am all about things that are unique. When I found this on the internet, I bought us tickets and kept it a surprise from my wife, until tonight. It turns out this was the first rock concert EVER recorded for the possibility of movie theater viewing. Good times were under way!



     The wife and I settled into a very sparse crowd at the theater (a good sign that we would not be climbed over; or disturbed by people nearby; or any of the other nuisances that keep me out of many theaters these days. Okay, so I'm old. Sue me.) We had some time to kill before the show, so the wife and I chatted a bit about her surprise and our views on Queen and the Fathom Events idea (more info at www.fathomevents.com). I'm pleased to say that she was excited for what was to come and had no idea it was coming. I take great pride in creating experiences for my loved ones that will come as a surprise and entertain them in ways that weren't even aware they could be entertained. Mission accomplished!

      The movie began and for a minute, the lights were still on. I was worried that we were going to have to do some art nouveau viewing that would have us watching a movie with the lights still on. Thankfully, as I was gauging how that would make me feel, the lights went out and it was time to suspend reality for a little bit to step back in time 33 years. From the first wail from Freddie Mercury, I knew we were in for something special. As the movie unfolded, the cinematography, the stage performance and the ability for the band to recreate their songs on stage were all equally impressive. It was a perfect day for all of the working components and it seemed like everyone was at the height of their powers (including the roadies!! The timing throughout the concert was mind blowing!). This concert video is a must see for anyone who loves music; a moment where the concert could match (and surpass) the beauty of any musical format (8 track, cassette, CD, Itunes).

       However, there was an unintended story in the movie that took on a life of its own and drew myy attention (and entertainment) to a whole different level.

       As the film begins, the band is visually introduced to us cinematically. The bassist (John Deacon) wsa given a very glaring outfit that stood out immediately (sky blue t-shirt and jeans. He looked like a surgeon.) I smirked a tad at his 80's getup, but thought nothing more of it. While the film carries on, however, I began to notice that the bassist didn't seem to get much screen time - he was always off to the side or in the blurred background. Freddie was writhing and undulating with the beat, the lead guitarist was in the spotlight a number of times for obligatory 80's guitar solos (and had 5 costume changes to John's ZERO) and even the drummer had a number of spotlight moments, including playing huge conga drums and an asian style gong. Even Freddie locked eyes at times during the performance with the drummer and lead guitarist to further add a sense of ignoring the bassist. I was mesmirized watching this guy who seemed to get the same appreciation as the furniture on stage just continue to do him. He became a kind of anti-hero for me.... cheering him on toward some recognition; a moment of his own. So often, he just seemed to wander to the middle of the stage as a placeholder when Freddie was off in the wings making girls (and guys, I'm sure) scream and wet themselves. Then, finally, it came! The second to last song was, "Another One BItes The Dust" - which, of course has a bass lead in. For those glorious 5 seconds, John Deacon was THE MAN!! The next (and last) song, he REALLY came alive - gyrating and dancing and breaking out the windmill to burn all the energy he saved over the course of the night. It was humorous to watch him finally rise up and become a functioning part of the whole experience - like watching a giraffe walk for the first time. Even still, when the band took their bow, he kept his bass hugged tightly to his chest and seemed embarrased by the adulation. A drinking game is born.....

       With all of the fun of following the saga; it did cause me to ponder the situation. What would it mean to have been John Deacon back in the 80's as it appeared in this film? Would it be worth it to be a part of one of the biggest bands in the world; even if it meant never really getting recognition or appreciation? Is money enough? Do the other band members feel like any bassist can do what you do? (Bassists are't afforded the same appreciation it seems that lead guitarists or drummers are. And of course the front man can make or break a lot of bands...) Sure, you would always get to tell girls, "I'm the bassist for Queen! Do me?" How would it feel if you were the little fish in an enormous pond? I am sure I will never know. It is something to ponder, however.

     In reality, the film was more than likely crafted to highlight the "money makers" in the group. Historically, I would hope that the bassist for one of the greatest bands of all time would get his due - and I am sure in the circles that matter; he does. If nothing else, he was the star of the show for me tonight. A great time with a fantastic woman watching an EPIC band.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment