Monday, November 17, 2014

You Better Work.....

     It's so hard to be in such a tenuous position. For so many of us, it's more uncomfortable many times to anticipate the horror that is to come than to actually experience it. While I am not currently living in an in-between status of terror; it is very disconcerting in my career right now. However, with a silver lining firmly in place, is there a place to be unhappy?

      So, right now I am in the process of my position being "laid off" with my current company. I mention being in the process because there in't a definitive last day; therefore leading to short term future uncertainty and a middle area - do I quit my job (with it's lame duck status) for a job with less money or opportunity? Just to control my destiny? Am I better off to ride this out and apply for things after? As uncomfortble as it is overall; there is still a comfort to going to the same place everyday, seeing the same people, doing the same thing. Many people remind me that I am still getting a paycheck - which is a true statement - but there is a danger in holding on too long and missing another opportunity. It's also disconcerting to go in every day knowing that, in the long term, all my work amounts to very little. It causes me to feel very complacent and just sleep walk through many of my days. I've been applying for jobs I really want to do; saving the desperation for after there is finally an end date on the horizon. I think there will definitely be career move to a new industry in the coming months. As I set myself up in my school career, the new skills I acquire willl help me be confident and ease into the new world that awaits.

      One ray of light is that I have a contract for work next January. Knowing that I have a source of income makes my decision a little less immediate. The upside of the road is that money can come fast and makes everything a little more palatable. The downside is that for (up to) one month, I will be in a differnt time zone and communicating with and spending time with my wife will be at an unfortunate minimum. I would quote the line about desperate times, but in truth these are not desperate times. I am not in a prime position, but I have a lot of opportunitiess that my life experience and skill set allow for me. Ultimately, a few months of work next year could lead me to using the rest of my time over the next few years to applying myself to my studies.

      I have a ridiculous amount of things right now that I am interested in accomplishing. It's almost as if I have reached the height of my powers and I am ready to move into another level of my life. It's amazing what being in a good marriage can do. I also have such a wide array of friends now that have amazing skills and fantastic drive. I feel like there is something better waiting for me on the other end of the toil that comes with success. Last time I felt this way, I was able to climb the career leadder and find the love of my life. What could be awaiting me this time??

No comments:

Post a Comment