Tuesday, November 25, 2014

It's a BIRD! It's a PLANE!!! (No, Really, She's Not Flying Cross Country on a Bird)

     The time is here everybody!!! The holidays are officially in full swing - one more work day until the flood family arrives at our doorsteps looking for Turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce! Time to relax in front of a game of football with pumpkin on our face and tryptophan in our eyelids. Over the wekend, the Christmas trees (traditionally) would start appearing, dieting plans will be disappearing and traffic will be a madhouse! For some of us, snow has brought you the beginnings of a "White Christmas" - if not exactly yuletide cheer. A time of thanks, of commune, of giving.

     What are YOU thankful for this year?

     As we head toward the feast, my wife and I have our sis coming out from Florida! When last we all inhabited the same space; two of us were getting married, there was a former boyfriend in the mix, much laughter filled our home, many great smells ranging from pancakes to chili absorbed into the walls and there was, of course, the "nananananana Pot Car!" Every time we all come togeterh, great memories are made and the hope for a new day burns anew. It will be great to have KK home. Not her birth home or her living day to day home - home is where we all become family. Our home is her home too! In addition to a SCRUMPTOUS undertaking for Thanksgiving day, the wife and I have a little surprise for sis on Friday!! I got outvoted on my plans for "lego day", but what the wife found was every bit as impressive (if not quite as creative! Legos RULE!) Love is the gift that keeps on giving...... no matter the source, as long as it's true and it's accepted. I will miss my brother, but family will be in full swing here in the CITY!! (Something about a heart and San Francisco. I don't know, look it up!!)

     Cool development of the day: I'm getting a volunteer gig to help out with a magazine. With all of my aspirations about writing and creating, I figure this is a fantastic opportunity! As has often been the case lately, I stumbled upon this opportunity by sheer coincidence while online today. Whether you want to label it God or karma or kismet or dumb luck; things have been seeming to come at the most opportune time as of late. Opportunity is knocking; I keep opening the door to let him in. (How many doors does my mythical house HAVE??) I am excited by the prospect of helping this magazine get ahead; and that I can tag along for the ride. Some might mention the absolute lack of funds (which is a definite consideration), but the experience (and knowledge of another marketable skill) made this too tempting to pass up. So I decided not to. :)

     At the end of the day, all of these attempts may amount to nothing. I might not have an interesting enough story to tell. The enjoyment comes from the doing. Each of these moments is exciting; another piece of the puzzle I am trying to see if I can make the picture that I see on the box. I never know what the result of all this might be, but I keep doing things becuase THAT is what life is. There are a million cliches about how nothing is certain; but what IS certain is that if I keep trying new ideas and doing new things and learning new skills; I will continue to grow and change and become. My life is not a board game that has a beginning and an end; that with just the right roll of the dice or drawing of a card I will acheive my perceived goal. The acheivement comes from changing into something else. Learning that my way today could be even better tomorrow. Accepting that being content to sit back and just exist is not a life worth my esteem.

      I will be different tomorrow because I want to! Bring me the stuffing! Show me the essay! grant me access to help and grow and be.

      Happy holidays to you all. May love and gravy fill your hearts and veins (respectively)!

No comments:

Post a Comment