Saturday, November 1, 2014

"Game Over"

     For the next month, I will be participating on an online effort for writing poetry (seeing as how it's National Writing month or something!), so today's blog will be my first poem. We were supposed to write from the poem prompt "Game Over".... Enjoy.

I have far too many years
For innocence such as yourself.
What you have proposed to me
Is neither rational nor hopeful;
I have mementos older than you!
Time does not hold a voyage for us -
Still, you invite me to play.
Vision washing over you
Desire peeking out from the curtain;
Who am I to say no?
A gentle journey begins....
I ask everything of you
Because I have no need from you
With each passing event
You dance and cajole
Showing me a fantasy come real
A wisp of dreaming while awake.
At once, I forsake my sense
In favor of what lies before my senses
You were not what I was looking for
But have inspired the vision 
Of what I seek from happiness.
Unyielded,
Playtime is no more
And the work of making you mine
Has begun.

Brett Humphreys

No comments:

Post a Comment