Friday, November 28, 2014

Killed the Cat? No, The Cat Killed!

     So, a surprise awaited our sister tonight, as the wife and I surprised her with a show. Originally, I was going to surprise my wife with the same show on her birthday; but I gave her Opera and a great movie instead! (See: I'm No John Deacon) After mentioning to the wife that I almost got her the show, we thought it would be great if all three of us went. Boy, am I glad we did! Great things come in strange packages...

     So, the show in question was the currently running production, "Kurios" by Cirque de Soliel, here in San Francisco. (www.cirquedesoliel.com) When I was orginallly researching tickets, the VIP tix were going for about $250 a piece. It would probably have been a bit overkill..... this is one of those things where the SHOW is the star, meeting the crew doesn't hold the same wonder as it does in rock bands. We bought amazing tickets (4 rows up from stage) and we were ready to roll!! When we told our sis today, she was so excited and mentioned that (like me) she had never been to a Cirque show. It's always more fun to share your first experience with a veteran (to show you around), and a newbie (to giggle alongside you and share in the magic moments). This experience would not disappoint on either level.

     When we first arrived, I will admit I was a bit skeptical. The Theatre company had built a "big top" in the parking lot near the baseball field. For the prices they charge, I was imagining a typical cold, uncomfortable, smelly thing like the circuses I went to as a kid. We paid our parking and headed for the tent; my senses keenly and sufficiently numbed by the idea of mold and chill taking up my next two hours. I must say, I could not have been more wrong. When we walked in, it was apprent this "big top" was a well run production on a grand scale. It smelled only of wonderful popcorn and a ting of the smoke they use during the show. It was better insulated than half of the houses I have been inside of in my life. It was bustling with all sorts of people: from the steampunk crowd (the show and music are 100% steampunk accessible. A must see if you are into Steampunk like my wife and I); to the artsy types; to the old people out to see one of there favorite shows; and everything in between. The designer of this tent has thought of everything - the concession stands move quickly, the merchandise is right up front and easily gone through, they have a TV board of running tweets about the show (nice touch), even the funneling in and out of the stage area is split into three to make it easier all the way around. The seating was a comfortable "staduim style" that wasn't a ton of room; but enough for most normal sized people, to be sure. The chairs themselves were quite comfortable! It didn't feel like a traveling sideshow; this design was on par with many shows I have attended in a brick and mortar art house (and the seats more comfortable, compared to previous engagements). Now, I was pumped once again! These performers had a space to do their thing and not have the audience drawn out of the suspension of disbelief by discomfort. Let's go!


      So we found our seats and we were all ready to be a part of magic. My wife had told my sis and I about her previous experiences at other shows, and we were ready for the awesome to begin. Slowly, almost haphazardly, performers started appearing high (near the top of the tent) and low (on the stage) for different functions. At first one, then three, and then a story began to form..... For the unintiated (like myself), Cirque is a story wrapped around a circus enveloped in a more modern style. No tigers jumping through flaming circles or clowns piled six to a car. To quote Mr. Miyagi, "Different; but same." So the journey begins, and the feats of human excellence begin to amaze at every turn. There will be no spoilers from me; other than to say there isn't a strongman lifting a 10,000 lb Dumbbell. The great part of this was that I was made to suspend disbelief. The feats were strong enough on their own; but it is so compelling that it draws you into the story. You will feel humor and tension and curiosity (pun intended) and awe and, ultimately, joy for being a part of something so creatively special and unique. You will have to go for yourself to understand this blog's header; but if you do go, there is no way you will be disappointed - unless you hate laughing or having a great time. (If this is the case, seek medical attention immediately) 

     The greatest compliment I can pay to this night is: I was disappointed when it was over. You pay your money to a vendor so that you will receive something that you deem worthy of your hard earned funds, and you walk away satisfied with your purchase on most nights. I was sorry to see it go and went out to give MORE money to Cirque so that I will always have a small piece of this night in my history nearby. Thanks to my wife, I have found a new source of enjoyment (another hobby! Just what I needed...... :]). Anyone who reads this; do yourself a favor. Venture to find this company and lay your money down. You will be thankful you did.

     This day was magical on so many levels. However, I wanted this moment; this show; my family; to stand on it's own. Thank you for reading, I hope this gives you some glimpse into the wonder of this moment.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment