Tuesday, May 14, 2013

There's No Such Thing as Best....

     In a world of individuals. This is one of my favorite quotes by my favorite author - Hugh Prather. It starts off todays thoughts because of something a buddy of mine said recently. He was telling me tales of a conversation he had recently had where a friend had told him he could do better. Better than his girlfriend. Better than his playmates. I couldn't help but agree - if he feels he has the potential for a "better" mate; who am I to disagree? The more I have thought about it however; the more I come to question.....
     "Better at what?"
     In a world of individuals - there will ALWAYS be a better to things that can be judged: Better looks; more money; better cooking; better sex; better conversation; better smile. (Well; not always smile - my girl has the best smile I have ever seen. Anywhere. In the history of ever. :} Just sayin'.) Is that what matters? Finding the best looking or cooking or smiling mate? It seems an endless road of searching for the "next big thing". I'm not saying one should settle for whatever crumbs that lay at one's feet; but at what point is it enough?
     For me; it has always been the intangibles that made all the difference. There is no one better in my life at sharing a moment and sharing themselves while also sharing me than the woman I have fallen in love with. My ex never gave me the level of understanding and importance that my love does now. That is why I spent years finally looking to replace her; because I knew there had to be something "better". It took 12 years before I realized I DESERVED better..... but at some point the instinct to be treated like a human being overrode my commitment to a long dead relationship. There are certainly times when the desires within us war with one another - but at the end of the day we always need to try and do what we feel is ultimately best for our present..... and our future. Addition by subtraction. I never knew my love was out there; waiting for me. I only knew SOMETHING better must await....
     So I was right. So now what? I have forsaken the idea of better because I find that I have all I need. MORE than I need in some ways. It would be cliche to continue the search for bustier or lustier or kinkier or more giving. I am not the norm. And I do not want. In her; even in her faults..... ESPECIALLY in her faults; I have all that I need. I have not settled - I have found the promised land. I have peace. I have love. I have her.
     What more is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment